Saturday, June 24, 2006

I had a little chunk of the "poisin pill" tonight

So I just returned from the movies with some of the youth group girls and Amber and Aileen. What a HUGE mistake..and I'm feeling very guilty about it. We went to see "Click"...DON'T GO SEE IT. It's a horrible movie--full of profanity and sexual innuendos. I will NEVER look at a stuff duck the same again. And I just sat there thinking, "how can I sit through this movie with these girls, and then try and tell them to live a life worthy of Christ...I am partly responsible for them seeing this smut". Aileen, Amber and I even discussed walking out...but we had already watched so much, we were assuming the worst was over. I think we may have been wrong.

So..what did I learn? Well first--ALWAYS check the review before you go to a movie. The previews of this movie looked very cute..and while Adam Sandler has been none to have some real raunchy movies, he also has put out some really cute ones as well.

It also just illustrated for me how callous we have become to SIN....Why do we allow such sin to enter into in our mind...NO..PAY for such sin to enter into our mind, and call it entertainment. I as a Christian have just become callous...I don't see sin for all of its ugliness and wretchedness...and I certainly do not allow myself to dwell on how much it grieves my heavenly father.

As Joshua Harris put it...

"But the greatest danger of the popular media is not a one-time exposure to a particular instance of sin (as serious as that can be). It's how long-term exposure to worldliness -- little chunks of poison pill, day after day, week after week -- can deaden our hearts to the ugliness of sin. What God calls the lust of the eyes and the sinful cravings of the heart are typically portrayed by the popular media as natural and harmless. The eventual effect of all those bits of poison pill is to deaden the conscience by trivializing the very things that God's Word calls the enemies of our souls."

To the 5 young ladies that we took to the movies tonight, I apologize. I never want to be an ambassador of sin the way I was tonight. What a wake up call...

What am I thankful for? Well--the 2 other adults that went with me--we were of the same mindset...we were all broken over the fact that we had not only allowed, but made it possible, for these 5 youth to sit through 2 hours of smut. I am SOOOOO thankful that I have Godly friends that will stand up for truth with me! Thank you Aileen and Amber.

I only wish we had walked out...but hopefully this is a lesson that I can learn from! For now...I can't wait to be in God's house tomorrow and just soak it all up!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Kel you are a wise woman!!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home